Help us Congratulate Meagan on being nominated to be the February 2019 Athlete of the Month. Meagan has been a consistent athlete that attends morning classes since becoming a CFRR member in July 2017. Since joining group classes Meagan has expanded her knowledge and abilities as a CrossFitter. She has also contributed to this wonderful community with her generosity towards others, spirited personality, and fun-loving attitude. Below are some answers to a questionnaire we asked Meagan to fill out so that you can get to know her a little better as well as what drives her.
1. My biggest motivation each day are the patients I work with. They each have their own differences or disorders that they have to battle each day but come to my clinic to do speech therapy with a smile and are eager and willing to work. I live for these kids!
2. My favorite quote is: In a world where you can be anything…Be kind. Words I live by- Never, never, never give up.
3. My current goal is always my damn double unders. Also….i decided today that I want to learn how to handstand walk by the end of 2019.
4. My first day at CrossFit was in a gym in Plano, Teas 6 years ago and boy was I nervous. I come from an athletic background growing up doing sports through college but I didn’t think I had it in me to be a “Crossfitter.’ And I’ve kept going back ever since. I still have days I get intimidated by the workouts but I think this is a good thing. Humility, especially when it comes to weight lifting and movements you are not as comfortable with, make those PR’s and best times even that much sweeter.
5. My advice for a new athlete trying CrossFit for the first time is to stay open-minded and you cannot even imagine what your body is actually capable of doing. Also, stretch……lots and lots of stretching.
6. A moment I felt most proud during a workout was lifting a new clean weight at the Open last year. I had gotten pretty comfortable at 135# but wanted to push myself. I didn’t let that voice inside my head get too loud and just went for it. I got a new PR on clean and couldn’t be more proud. I couldn’t wipe that smile off my face if I tried.
7. Outside of CrossFit, I love to be active and travel. I just got back from Peru where I hiked the Inca trail and have a trip to Alaska planned this upcoming summer. I also love to take my dog Gypsy for a run most weekends and hang with family now that I am back in the Round Rock area after 13 years away. I enjoy live music at small venues around town as well as eating and drinking my way through new Austin restaurants.
8. My favorite part of CFRR are the coaches and box-mates. This being my 4th box, I have really felt that I have found my home with the athletes I work out next to and the coaches who push you. Kali is one of my all-time favorite people and I love getting to work out under her energy and direction each morning.
9. Haven’t ever thought of what a Mighty Might Meg WOD would look like but it would have to involve: running (duh), burpees, and definitely some toes to bar. I know, I am crazy. Maybe even some thrusters 🙂
10. My diet has changed more due to digestive issues but also feeling stronger and more prepared for workouts has altered my diet since starting CrossFit. My mom is from Italy so carbs were and are the main staple of our house. I have learned what good and bad carbs are and have mostly stuck to a paleo style diet for the last few years. Cutting out dairy makes my stomach and life so much more enjoyable and have to branch out and try new alternatives has definitely been frustrating (I miss ice cream so much!!). I feel better though when I eat more protein and veggies and my energy during and post workouts reflect that.