From the day Will Hampton came in the doors of CFRR he was focused on dedicating time to himself. He jumped straight into fundamentals and hasn’t looked back! That was in late 2016…..fast forward 5 years and Will is still focused on his fitness in more ways than one.
He attends the MWF CrossFit class at noon, plays basketball on Tuesdays and Thursdays and rarely misses a ROMWOD routine in the evenings. He has focused attention on his nutritional habits which has in turn lead to less inflammation and has alleviated some aches and pains.
Congratulations to Will on all the hard work over the last 5 years! Here’s to the next five!
|1) What is your biggest motivation?|
My biggest motivation is what I call “fighting the clock.” Just because I’m closing in on 60 doesn’t mean I’m ready to slow down. To the contrary, I want to get stronger, improve my mobility and become more fit. I do not want to slow down.
2) Your favorite quote or words to live by?
If you think you can or think you can’t, you’re probably right.
3) What is your current training goals/PRs?
I want to keep adding muscle and reducing body fat — so my current goals are more diet-related. For specific goals in that area, get back to me after my next body comp!
4) Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel? How do you compare it to workouts today?
I was nervous, of course. But the other members were great, of course. Today, I’m much more relaxed and try to pay it forward by being helpful to all the new folks joining in the fun.
5) What advice do you have for new athletes just starting out in CrossFit?
You’re not in competition with anyone but yourself. Be patient, especially if, like me, all the Olympic lifts are new to you. Better to have proper form than go heavy. The heavy will come, trust me.
6) Tell us about a moment you felt most proud of yourself during a workout?
I still remember the first day I got up on the wall for handstand pushups. I had a real mental block for the first few months.
7) What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?
I play basketball but the sport I love playing most is golf. CrossFit (and ROMWOD) have been good for my game!
8) What’s your favorite part of CrossFit Round Rock?
I really enjoying making progress with all my peeps in the noon crew. There’s such great camaraderie here, and everyone is pulling for everyone else to keep getting better, day by day.
9) If you could create a WOD and name it for yourself, what would it be?
Some combination of wall balls, rows, sit ups and maybe pushups. For time, of course. I’d name it: Fight the Clock.
10) How has your diet changed since starting CrossFit (if it has), and what foods do you rely on most?
I’ve learned the importance of staying away from foods (like sugar!) that are inflammatory. A huge revelation for me was going on the Detox Diet (ask your CFL) and having my usually achy shoulders start to feel so much better. A breakfast I learned doing the Detox Diet is now my go-to: Ground bison, rice cooked in coconut milk and a few strawberries. I eat way fewer eggs, which I think my body doesn’t tolerate well (even though I love them).